Posts for: January, 2016
Find out what’s behind professional dentist-supervised whitening and if it’s safe for your smile.
It’s 2016! Now that the ball has dropped and the champagne has been finished it’s time to think about the year ahead. For many this means making some changes to improve their confidence. If you are looking for a way to quickly and easily boost your smile’s appearance than it’s time you turned to our Seymour cosmetic dentists Dr. Matthew Pierce and Dr. Jennifer Terhaar for teeth whitening.
Bleaching and professional whitening can be a safe and effective way to get a brighter smile when used correctly. While it can be more difficult to monitor issues effectively with at-home whitening treatments, your general dentists in Seymour can make sure that you get the whiter smile you want without worrying about gums, lips or other sensitive tissue getting damaged.
If you have teeth sensitivity you may be concerned about whether whitening is the right option for you. Research has found that high concentrations of bleach can increase tooth sensitivity, so if this occurs after your whitening session there are things you can do to reduce this problem (this issue should go away on its own after a couple days):
- Temporarily eliminate hot or cold foods and drinks from your diet
- Use an anti-sensitivity toothpaste that contains potassium nitrate
- Talk to us about whether fluoride rinses could be a great option for remineralizing your teeth
- If you use our at-home whitening system wear your trays for shorter periods of time
If you are dealing with any of these issues you may not be an ideal candidate for whitening:
- Gum disease, cavities or worn teeth
- If you are pregnant or currently breastfeeding
- If you have dental restorations like bridges or crowns (artificial dental structures don’t respond to bleaching)
Want to find out if teeth whitening is right for your smile? Then call Jackson County Dental today and let your dentists in Seymour give you a brand new look for the new year.