Posts for tag: Oral Care Routine
It's important to develop good habits in looking after your teeth and gums. You'll prevent decay, gum disease and tooth loss. Dr. Matthew Pierce, your dentist at Jackson County Dental in Seymour, IN, wants all his patients to be as diligent at home as he and his team are at the office. Together, you'll achieve great smiles.
Turning the ordinary into the extraordinary
You know the basics--brush twice a day, floss, and eat well. Cut the sugar, cigarettes and alcohol. Wear a mouthguard when you're on the playing field. See your dentist in his Seymour, IN, office for an exam and professional cleaning twice yearly.
But, how can maximize these basics? Here are some suggestions:
- Stay with your brushing routine for at least two minutes. The American Dental Association (ADA) says that two minutes of careful brushing removes a lot of plaque. However, don't be too rough, and start at the back of your mouth. Molars need the most attention because of their position and grooved chewing surfaces.
- Eat fibrous foods, such as celery and lettuce. They're natural tooth scrubbers and exercise your gums and jaw bone.
- Change your toothbrush whenever it looks worn. Keep it in a dry, clean place.
- Swish your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash for 30 seconds after you brush. It removes more plaque than brushing alone and freshens your breath.
- Floss gently. If you use strand floss, wind each end around opposite index fingers, and insert the central portion in between teeth. Move the floss up and down, and repeat with a clean section until your teeth feel--and sound--squeaky clean. Throw the floss out. Do not re-use it.
- Look at your teeth, gums, tongue and other soft tissues every day. If you see changes in color or texture, or have a sore spot which will not resolve, call Dr. Pierce about it.
Just a little bit every day...
Daily care makes your mouth healthier. For ways to improve your oral hygiene regimen, ask your hygienist at your next routine appointment with Dr. Matthew Pierce at Jackson County Dental. Our Seymour, IN, dentist is all about prevention and smiles which last a lifetime. Call us at (812) 522-8608 to book your appointment.