Posts for tag: Oral Care
Our mouths have various functions like those used for communicating, eating, and smiling. Most of us were taught how to care for our oral hygiene ever since we were young. Although regularly visiting your dentist here at Jackson County Dental in Seymour, IN, Dr. Matthew Pierce, is a must, maintaining a proper oral care routine at home is equally crucial since we spend most of our time there. Furthermore, we develop most of our habits and lifestyle at home.
Basic Oral Health Care Guidelines
To maintain a healthy mouth and strong teeth, here are a few easy tips that you can follow:
- Always brush your teeth before bed. Doing this will clean off those nasty germs that have built up in your mouth throughout the day.
- Brush thoroughly. Plaque that is left in your mouth could harden easily, which could then lead to gingivitis. You can avoid this by simply brushing in gentle, circular motions. Remember to brush your tongue as well and take your time (two full minutes).
- Use fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride toothpaste prevents you from getting tooth decay, as it fights off germs and bacteria that harm your mouth.
- Use mouthwash. This reduces acidity in the mouth, re-mineralizes your teeth, and cleans areas around the gums that are difficult to brush.
- Don’t forget to floss. Flossing is as equally important as brushing. It removes leftover debris in between your teeth, reduces plaque, and stimulates your gums.
- Consume crunchy produce. Fresh fruits and vegetables are healthy and high in fiber. Additionally, they can benefit your jaws and your overall health.
- Hydrate more with water. It is advised that you drink water after each meal. This removes the nasty leftovers from sticky and acidic foods. Keeping your mouth moist reduces the accumulation of plaque and the risk of developing both gum disease and cavities.
- Refrain from sugary or acidic foods. Sugar turns into acid in the mouth, which can erode teeth enamel and cause tooth decay.
When Should You See Your Dentist?
According to the American Dental Association, you should ideally visit your dentist at least twice a year for professional cleanings and checkups. Your Seymour dentist will not only spot for cavities and get rid of tartar, but also identify any underlying issues present and offer suitable treatment solutions for them.
For More Oral Care Advice, Call Us
Call 812-522-8608 to reach Jackson County Dental in Seymour, IN, and set your appointment with our dentist, Dr. Matthew Pierce.